Saturday, October 11, 2014

Real Life Keeps Calling...



This has been a sad week in our house.  We unexpectedly had to say goodbye to our eldest dog.  She was more or less mine and Heron's girl.  The other two dogs, even though I take care of them all, were picked out specifically for each of our daughters.  

I'm glad whatever happened to her, happened fairly quickly though, most likely a stroke.  She went from being happy and healthy one day, to not being able to stand or walk the next.  I knew my decision was the right one but it certainly doesn't make it any easier.  It kind of makes sense now why the middle dog had been attacking her.  She must have sensed that the other one was ill or weakened.  We've had to keep them separated for a while now and I am kind of glad we don't have the stress hanging over our head that she would get killed in a dog fight. 

Gosh...it just sucks though!  I've had to make the decision several times to have one of our pets put down and this time I realized just how alone I feel in that.  Don't get me wrong...Heron is always completely supportive but it's one area that is mine to deal with completely.  He's never been the one to have that conversation with the vet or be the one holding our beloved pet as they take their last breath.  For all that tough exterior, I know He just can't do it and I love that He is that tender-hearted when it comes to certain things. 

Sometimes we still have to be the strong one...



 

8 comments:

  1. So sorry for your loss. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So so sorry. We too recently lost a beloved family dog and are just now getting past it. Memories will last forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry to hear that you lost yours recently. That is true...the memories of our furry family members do last forever.

      Delete
  3. So sorry for your loss. The loss of a pet is like losing a member of your family. Sometimes you'd swear they were human. I still miss my favorite Pom Pom that we lost last November. Thankfully the other dogs keep me busy and provide much love and companionship. Your memories will last forever and that's truly special. .Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SGT! It is like losing a member of the family and I do miss her but yes...still having the other the other two have helped immensely. They have certainly gotten alot more attention the last week or so. Hugs back xx

      Delete