Monday, November 30, 2015

"Sock" It to Me

It's been quite a while since I felt the sting of Heron's disappointment and the humiliation of being punished. 

Thankfully, punishments are rare these days.  Typically for us, a stern warning here and there goes a long way towards righting the ship that is beginning to steer off course.      

But there was this one thing...

You know how inevitably, one sock out of a pair always gets lost in the laundry? 

Somehow between the washer and dryer one of them just...disappears!

Well, we have been experiencing a slightly different phenomenon in our house but still relating to socks.  It's more like one never makes it to the laundry. Almost every time single time I scoop up dirty clothes, I manage to leave ONE sock behind on the floor.  And even though I feel like I double check myself all the time, it has continued to happen.

Heron has been quite patient with it, sometimes even joking about how it's now like my little "signature".  But I also knew the underlying message, in a gently way of course, was to correct the problem. 

Well, I was out with my daughter the other day when I received a text message from Him with this picture attached.



And the words...SOMEONE IS IN TROUBLE.

Now the last couple of months, Heron has been dealing with a medical issue which means life for the most part has been, well just that...life.  He ended up having minor surgery just a little over a month ago and I am happy to say He has recovered nicely.   

But that text message definitely signaled that He was getting back on the horse and ready to deal with any lack of focus on my part.

It was several days before He actually had the time to follow through on any punishment.  And like a kid, I tried extra hard those few days, hoping He might put it out of His mind. 

Nope...that didn't happen. 

The other night He told me it was time to deal with some business.  He ordered me to remove all my clothes and kneel in the middle of the bedroom floor.

Nothing had even happened yet and tears were already welling up in my eyes. As I knelt there, looking at the floor, He asked me if I understood why I was being punished.  I understood perfectly.  Didn't stop me from being angry and disappointed.   

I felt sure that my punishment would come in the form of a paddling but Heron always does know how to surprise me. 

As I knelt there, He walked away for a moment and returned with a sock.  Yes, one of His dirty socks!

Bet you can guess where that sock went!

If you guessed in my mouth, well then, you would be correct.

As He sat back on the chest at the end of our bed and folded His arms, I felt the increasing weight of His stare as I continued to keep my eyes on the floor.  Tears rolled down my cheeks and my mouth was humiliatingly full of smelly dirty sock.  And while I couldn't stand that my actions had made this necessary, I could feel the anger and disappointment fading away and the humility seeping back into my soul.  

12 comments:

  1. Oh my! A punishment I could foresee but was hoping against. When they make their point, they go for the juggler.

    I hope it helped you. I always miss a sock. Always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he felt that punishment quite appropriate. Lol And yes... Amazingly I haven't missed a sock since:)

      Delete
  2. Yuck, yuck, ewww. No more missing socks for you I hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YUCK is right!! But he certainly made his point.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes it is time to get back to the basics and reset. Good for you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely agree... Sometimes I hate to admit that though. Lol

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Yuk is right! I almost did it again last night though. Thankfully, I walked back into the bedroom before he did and saw the sock on the floor. Geez...I really don't know what the issue is with those darn things. LOL

      Delete
  5. Sometimes one must get dirty, to come clean,,, :)

    peace and love
    1ManView

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, a very interesting perspective!!

      I am happy to see your here:)

      Delete
  6. humiliation and pain are so cleansing for the sub soul..

    im on fet now - HarleyQ420 is my username if you want to check it out- so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Haley!

      Yes, it does shift one's mindset for sure.

      So glad I found you on FET:)

      Delete